SWIFT INDUSTRY ACTION
The U.S. oil and natural gas industry united its efforts and launched a comprehensive review of offshore energy safety by assembling four Joint Industry Task Forces, which focused on: operating procedures; equipment; subsea well control and containment; and oil spill preparedness and response. Because of the swift industry response, reviews took place immediately and recommendations to improve worker safety and the environment were implemented quickly.
CENTER FOR OFFSHORE SAFETY
The Center for Offshore Safety (COS) is an industry sponsored organization focused exclusively on offshore safety on the OCS. COS serves the U.S. offshore oil & gas industry with the purpose of adopting standards of excellence to ensure continuous improvement in safety and offshore operational integrity. Membership is open to all companies that operate, drill and/or complete wells or provide support services to offshore drilling, completions, and operations on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf.
- Enhance and continuously improve the industry’s safety and environmental performance;
- Gain and sustain public confidence and trust in the oil and gas industry;
- Increase public awareness of the industry’s safety and environmental performance;
- Stimulate cooperation within industry to share best practices and learn from each other; and
- Provide a platform for collaboration between industry, the government, and other stakeholders.
Promote the highest level of for safety for offshore drilling, completions, and operations through effective leadership, communication, teamwork, utilization of disciplined management systems and independent third party auditing and certiﬁcation.