Ecopetrol America Inc. (EAI) is the U.S. subsidiary of Ecopetrol S.A.- the national oil company of Colombia. Created in 2007, EAI is responsible for the exploration and production of petroleum and natural gas in North America.
Under the Ecopetrol Business Group 2020 Strategic Plan, EAI is striving to become one of the top companies operating in the deep-water Gulf of Mexico, while being a leader in social and environmental responsibility. EAI entered the Gulf of Mexico in 2008, with the acquisition of the producing K2 Field. Since then, EAI has participated or is an owner in the following discoveries and development activities:
- K2, operated by Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, where EAI has a 9.21% participation with one Development Well drilled and another completed in 2015 and 2 more initially planned for spudding in 2016.
- Parmer, discovered in 2012, where EAI has 30% participation is now operated by Stone Energy Corporation.
- Dalmatian South, discovered in 2012, operated by Murphy Exploration & Production Company – USA, where EAI has 30% participation and a Development Well is being drilled in 2015.
- Gunflint, discovered in 2008, operated by Noble Energy Inc., where EAI has 31.5% participation and a Development program is being undertaken consisting of the drilling, completing and hooking-up for production of two Development Wells with first oil in 2016.
- Leon, discovered in 2014, operated by Repsol E&P USA Inc., where EAI has 40% participation and an Appraisal Well will be commenced in 2015.
- Rydberg Deep, discovered in 2014, operated by Shell Offshore Inc., where EAI has 28% participation.
Global Offshore Drilling Center
As part of its efforts to increase global oil and natural gas production, EAI operates the Global Offshore Drilling Center (ODC). Based in Houston, Texas, ODC consists of a group of offshore subject matter experts. ODC is dedicated to providing project management leadership and technical expertise to Ecopetrol S.A. and its affiliate’s offshore operations. The ultimate goal of the ODC is to work in partnership with all regions and deliver the industry’s highest offshore standards for wells and facilities – safety, quality and cost efficiency. The objectives of the ODC are to:
- Establish competencies through a “Rapid Development Program”, which provides industry-best training for offshore engineers and wellsite leaders
- Provide peer assistance for global offshore projects
- Create offshore operational standards and assure compliance in all regions
- Implement knowledge management practices performance
- Set metrics to measure what is important
- Benchmark the performance of competitors
- Create a global culture of continuous improvement
EAI’s parent company – Ecopetrol S.A. – is the largest company in Colombia, the fourth largest Latin American oil company, and one of the top 40 largest oil companies in the world. Ecopetrol S.A. is an integrated company participating in the hydrocarbon value chain, from exploration and production of oil and gas, to marketing and processing fuels and value added products. It owns and operates the two main refineries of Colombia.
The Ecopetrol Business Group currently comprises more than 30 companies, in businesses ranging from hydrocarbon exploration, production, transportation to refining, petrochemicals and biofuels, with operations in Colombia, Brazil, Peru and the United States.
For more information on Ecopetrol America visit here.